Monday 25 June 2012

Ugh Radiation


So let me recap the last couple weeks then I can fill you in on my surgeon appointment….

Kali and I finally started at our new location – The Children’s Hospital. I guess last time I blogged I didn’t really explain what PALS is and perhaps you were wondering why are Ashley and her dog at the hospital….? Anyways PALS stands for Pet Access League Society. It’s a volunteer organization that has roughly 400 animals that visit different locations throughout the city bringing just a few minutes of happiness to people that may not be mobile or able to go visit their pets. Kali and I started in December/January at the Foothill’s Hospital transition unit. After having the same conversations every 2 weeks with the patients (a lot of dementia) I realized that Kali would have the time of her life with children. So I asked to be put on a waiting list because everyone wants to be at the Children’s and a month later there was an opening! After more security checks, orientations and screenings we got to start last week. It was amazing and she did so well! The kids loved her and loved playing with her ‘piggy’ tail.

Other than that I spent Father’s day morning at my Dad’s for brunch and then the in-laws came over for some basketball, croquet and dinner. The day was busy but it was nice to finally spend some time with family – we have been so busy and haven’t really been able to have the time we have wanted to. It’s a crazy summer (again) and can never seem to catch up.

I saw my surgeon on Monday to discuss my upcoming surgery (August 7th – 6 weeks) and some side effects from radiation. I have come to learn that chemo sucks at the time but not to many long term side effects. Radiation is easy but has a lot of side effects that I have learned don’t always get better.  I started going back to the gym a couple months ago and started lifting weights. I started to get some lymphedema under my armpit and my ribs, shoulder and breast would get incredibly sore.  I thought lifting more weights and getting massages would help – boy was I wrong. I would get more swelling and more uncomfortable so I stopped. I finally asked the surgeon what this was about and it isn’t lymphedema – its muscle fibrosis and it probably won’t get better and could possibly just continue to get worse. Basically it is tons of scar tissue. The surgery will actually help a bit because they are replacing some of the scar tissue with healthy muscle. Anyways needless to say I wasn’t happy when I left his office.  

Stay tuned for the next blog...all about my weekend spent as a pin-up model…

No comments:

Post a Comment